The aqueduct is located 83 km from the village of Tierra Amarilla, and 98 km from Copiapó, at the foot of the Tranque Lautaro (Lautaro Reservoir).
It was constructed in 1890 by Spanish workmen, in order to bring water to the Amolanas mine. Materials such as dressed stone and cement were used for the construction. Water was transported from the river along the aqueduct to a 16-metre drop, where it was used to operate the main turbine for a mineral processing plant.
The only one of its kind in the country, it operated until 1928, when the Embalse Lautaro was built.
It was declared a National Monument in 1982.