Squares of Concepción
Plaza de la Independencia
Its name commemorates the Independence of Chile, which came about on 1 January 1818. The plaza still has the same layout of that age, apart from the lime trees that used to surround it, which fell during a storm in 1997.
Plaza Carlos Condell
Arranged and inaugurated on 4 June 1905 by the first Mayor, Fernando L. Testus. It is found in Heras by Janequeo.
This square lies between the streets Tucapel, Barros Arana, Castellón and O’Higgins. It was built in 1941. The square contains gardens and paths arranged around the building of the Law Courts, built some time later. It is home to four important monuments, one of them being of the Liberator Bernard O’Higgins.
Plaza España Isabel La Católica
This square is found in the Station district. It serves as a type of antechamber to the Railway Station of Concepción and marks the beginning of the most important route through the city, which goes through calle Barros Arana, Plaza Independencia, Paseo Peatonal, Plaza Tribunales de Justicia and calle Diagonal towards Plaza Perú, ending up in the University Campus. It incorporates paths and organic gardens, a central water fountain and a sculpture of a Condor, added in 2000.