Located 11 km east of Ovalle, Sotaqui is a little town, important because of its production of pisco and its religious festival. On leaving Ovalle, after crossing the river Grande, you find the Valley of Sotaquí where there are tall palm trees, left over from an old ranch.
This ancient place was named a town in the times of the Conquest, when in 1551 Pedro Cisternas claimed the lands. In 1774 it was recognized as such.
In 1882 a railway line was built which joined this zone with the south of Chile. In 1943 an earthquake hit the city, destroying it completely.
Together with San Antonio del Mar de Barraza, Sotaqui is one of the oldest settlements, dating from the time of the Spanish Conquest.
Its name is of quechua origin, and means ‘game of jacks’.
The veneration of the “Niño Jesús” (Child Jesus), together with a devout history of apparition and religious findings, has resulted in an annual festival only excelled by the worship of the Virgen de Andacollo.