Ruins of the Chañarcillo Mine
These are the ruins of the old Chañarcillo silver mine situated 73 km southeast of Copiapó. It still displays vestiges of the mining town, its cemetery and the area where silver was exploited.
The first reference to traces of the mineral found in Chañarcillo was recorded in 1747. Many years later in 1832, it was officially discovered by Juan Godoy and became the third largest silver mine in the world.