The Pampa began its activities in 1920, with the aim of providing services to the camps set up in the surrounding area by a series of salrpeter companies. It was founded by Lautaro Ponce Arellano.
It reached its peak between 1920 and 1930 when the inhabitants of the surrounding areas came here looking for amusement and things to buy. Every weekend the population exceeded 2,000 people. At that time there were two long streets bordering the railway, and a total of 17 blocks. It did not expand further due to the end of the saltpeter boom.
The constructions were built using crust of nitrate cemented with mud.
The machinery originally installed was dismantled during the forties, as occurred in the rest of the region.