History of Puerto Aisén
The town was originally founded in 1914 as a port with the pier and warehouses of a cattle-raising company, SIA (Sociedad Industrial de Aisén). It became organized in the 1920s and it was declared a municipality in the year 1928.
It was organized mainly around the cattle raising business in the 1920s. In the 1960s, many public buildings were solidly constructed and are still standing today.
At this time, the port silted up due to the sediment brought down by the river, making it useless. Since then, Puerto Chacabuco has taken its place with a ferry terminal and port for larger ships, located 14 km south of the estuary of the river, on the shores of Fiordo Aisén.