A small town and municipality located 65 km north of Antofagasta. The main economic activities of the inhabitants are the fishing, electricity and gas industries, and it used to have the most important engine yards in South America.
Here you can visit the Corazón de María Church, built in oregon pine between 1906 and 1908; the old Customs House built in 1906 where the Natural and Historial Museum of Mejillones now functions; and the Harbor Master’s Office.
Is considered as one the best in the country, not only because of its beauty but because its safe to enjoy with the complete family. It is a great bay in front of the old dock and the historic town, suitable for bathing, fishing and water sports. There is a camping area, kiosk and other tourist services.
Corazón de María Church
The church has three naves and a central tower. It was built between 1906 and 1908, at the same time as the church hall next door. The whole structure, including the sidewalks and external staircase, was built in oregon pine.
Old Customs House
Construction of the old Customs House building began in 1906, with corridors where there are beautiful carvings that form a “U”. The Natural and Historical Museum of Mejillones is now housed in the building, with a collection of objects of the chango indigenous people, a room devoted to the nitrates boom, and a section dedicated to the Pacific War.
Harbor Master’s Office
Like the buildings previously mentioned, construction began in 1906, in French style. A tower with a lighthouse stands above the building.