Leisure areas in Viña del Mar
Sausalito Lagoon Tourist Complex
Sausalito is the name of the old reservoir known as "La Hacienda" belonging to the Vergara family. It was built at a time when the scarcity of water was threatening local vineyards. Nowadays it is a large tourist complex offering tourists the chance to enjoy beaches, boat trips, waterskiing, tennis courts, swimming pools and lots of other adult and kids entertainment facilities.
The complex also displays a replica of a Mississippi steam boat which used to be a discotheque.
It is open to the public all year round – the opening hours are 10:00 to 17:30. You need to purchase a ticket to enjoy the complex`s facilities. The contact number is 976249.
Valparaíso Sporting Club
On 1st June in 1882, the sixty nine members of the "Valparaíso Sporting Meeting", an institution which had sponsored English style races since 1864 in the Placilla Plains, decided to improve the popularity of their activities by reinventing themselves as an anonymous society called "Valparaíso Sporting Club" whose main objective would be to inject the equestrian sport into the very heart of the city of Viña del Mar.
The founders’ English traditions inspired the organization known as the Chilean ¨Derby¨, a race for three old horses over a distance of 2 400 metres – the first race was held on 22nd October 1885.
With 124 hectares of land, Valparaíso Sporting Club, accommodates the race tracks and training tracks, stables and paths used specifically for horse riding activities, facilities for its shareholders, the general public and the administration, sports fields for football, rugby, polo, cricket, hockey, athletics, cycling, bowls and various others sports, all of which are used to facilitate and encourage sport and leisure amongst the local inhabitants.
Granadilla Country Club
This is located along the road to Granadilla in the Sausalito district and has no number. It is a large sports centre and private club, with excellent golf courses, a swimming pool and tennis courts.
The courts were officially opened on 15th August in 1922 and have experienced remarkable success. Presently the complex has a Country Club with modern facilities and its golf courses are considered to be the best in Chile.